Itinerary of the day
- Breakfast at Chengdu dan dan noodle 成都担担面早餐
- Visit WuhouCi Memorial Temple 武侯祠
- Visit Ancient Jingli Street 锦里古街
- Red Star Rabbit 红星兔丁
- Lunch at Qinshanzhai restaurant 钦善斋午餐
- Visit Du Fu's cottage 杜甫草堂
- Shopping at Chun Xi Road 春熙路
- Dinner at Seventy One Dou Tang Fan 七十一号豆汤饭晚餐
It was a bit tricky to get a taxi in chengdu. We had culture shock on our first night at Chun Xi Road. There was no taxi stand or taxi queue. The moment the taxi came to a stop, there would be few people approaching from different doors. We failed to get a taxi until we decided to join the crazy crowd.
A little bit more on Chengdu's transport. Normal bus fare was RMB1 and air-conditioned bus fare was RMB2. Taxi fare within Chengdu town was RMB10-RMB20, depending on the distance. Most of the time we took taxi as it delivered us to the doorstep. But there was few times when we could not get a taxi, we had to take the bus, which was like a packed sardine can.
Of course, it would be good to figure out the bus route before your trip. An example of how I did it for WuHouCi
1. Seach for 'WuHouCi' in google map. Result
2. Zoom in and look for the nearest bus stop symbol and click on it. It shows the bus stop name, '武侯祠' and the buses for it, '1路 57路 82路 334路 335路 503路 901路'. Result.
3. Do the same to get the departure bus stop name. The bus stop opposite my hotel is '东风路'.
4. Go to Chengdu public bus website. Key in the start and stop point for result. It will list the most convenient method first.
5. Translation for the 1st result. It works for all other results as well.
在 望平街 坐 76路 到 东门大桥/红星路四段/纱帽街 换乘 335路 到 武侯祠
First method(about 10 stops)
At 望平街 take 76路 to 东门大桥/红星路四段/纱帽街 change 335路 to 武侯祠
6. Do note that not all the returned result starts with 东风路. Some starts with 望平街, another bus stop nearby.
7. Happy searching!
We had Chengdu dan dan mian（成都担担面) opposite WuhouCi. Noodles was a common breakfast in Chengdu. Among all, dan dan mian was a classic Sichuan dish that should not be missed.
The shop was bright and clean. It had an open kitchen with menu displayed on the top.
Noodle was sold in the unit of tael(两）. 1 tael = 50g. To make life easier, we just took their 1-tael, 2-tael, 3-tael as our small, medium and big portion.
wrapping chaoshou(抄手）, another famous snack in Chengdu.
Chaoshou was Chengdu's famous dumpling. In GuangDong province, it was called Wantan.
The three noodles from the top: ran mian（燃面）, dan dan mian（担担面）, hong shao niu rou mian(red braised beef noodle 红烧牛肉面）. I rated ran mian no 1, but dan dan mian was worth trying too. Dan dan mian, also known as spicy peanut noodles had a very strong sizhuan pepper taste. It did not look spicy at all when served because the spicy sauce was at the bottom.
For chaoshou, we ordered both the spicy(红油抄手） and non-spicy（鸡汤抄手）version. The breakfast was dirt cheap, all the above dishes was only RMB20.
This post is getting a bit long. Will continue in the next post. For preview, please go back to the top of the post. ;)
Chengdu Dan Dan Mian 成都担担面
242 WuhouCi St